The Warehouse building at 71 Canvass Street in Cohoes, was originally built to warehouse textiles and goods for the knitting trade in the bustling city of post civil war Cohoes. Although it appears to have been built by C.M. Blaisdell prior to his joining the firm, George A. House did eventually own and operate the warehouse, and from the sounds of it, was quite an enterprising young man! The following is a short biography about Mr. House excerpted from “Landmarks of Albany County, New York” (1897), by Amasa Parker;
“George A. House, well known in both business and political circles, is one of the most enterprising men of Cohoes, his native city. After graduating from the High School in 1870. he at once accepted a position with H. R. Grant & Co.. in the hard- ware trade. In connection with his duties in the store he acquired a knowledge of telegraphy. On the dissolution of this firm he was appointed manager of the Western Union Telegraph office at Cohoes, which position he held until 1883. In that year he resigned and became the Cohoes representative of Samuel Blaisdell, jr., & Co., cotton and wool dealers, Chicopee, Mass.
Almost immediately perceiving the necessity of a warehouse in Cohoes he perfected his plans and then forming a co- partnership with C. M. Blaisdell, a member of the firm of S. Blaisdell, jr., & Co., carried the new venture to a successful issue. In 1894 C. M. Blaisdell disposed of his interest to his wife, Mr. House retaining his equal position. In 1895 Mr. House individually built the Younglove Avenue Warehouse.
Mr. House is a very influential political leader, standing unswervingly in the Republican party. He has served as fire commissioner, filling the vacancy caused by the death of the Hon. D. J. Johnston, general superintendent of the Harmony Mills. He is a member of Cohoes Lodge No. 116, F. & A. M., life member of Cohoes Chapter, R. A. M., life member of Bloss Council of Troy. R. and S. M., past orator of Royal Arcanum, past grand Cohoes Lodge, I. O. O. F., member of Cohoes Business Men’s Association, member of Cohoes City Club, and Pafraets Dael Club of Troy. He was born in 1853 of Holland ancestry and was the son of Moses House, who came here as early as 1850, a shoemaker by trade. He was also a private banker.”
George A. House’s textile warehouse has now been transformed in to “Warehouse 71” a luxury loft apartment community. This project is an “Adaptive Reuse” project, which is the process of reusing an old site or building for a purpose other than what it was originally built or designed for. Adaptive reuse is seen by many as a key factor in land conservation, the reduction of urban sprawl, and the rebirth of inner cities by introducing a new generation to the benefits of city living.
Painstaking attention was paid to maintain and preserve the original structure of the Canvass Street Warehouse, and match the construction materials and methods of the day. Some good examples are the large “hoistway doors” on each floor, which were reproduced in exacting detail. Original gears and parts of the water generated power system can found on display in the building, and the wood columns and beams found in each apartment are original to the building. Even the window sills were made of old stand timber originally used as floor joists in the building!
Our goal was to be respectful of the original building and it’s Architectural features, while transforming it in to a modern and unique facility. Now with the remodel complete, there is a bright future for this historic building which maintains its roots to the thriving industrial city that was the Cohoes of the 1800’s.
- Off-street parking
- Public transportation within a block
- Fitness room
- 24-hour video security surveillance
- Rooftop patio
Each Apartment at Warehouse 71 Features:
- Exposed brick and wood beams
- Superior sound buffering
- Granite countertops
- Stainless steel appliances
- Central heating and cooling
- Ample storage
- Wood floors and ceramic tiles in bathrooms
- Green washer and dryer in each unit
- Secure video intercom entry
- 11’-0” to 17’-0” high ceilings